Monday, October 3, 2016

Reece Museum Adventure


            
                 I got to visit the Reece Museum this past week for The Best of Tennessee Craft Exhibit. I did enjoy all the art work. There were a few pieces I admired the most and I am including their pictures here. While I do understand that art is open to the viewer to interrupt, I found myself wishing that the artists had provided some insight into their work. Perhaps a brief background about the motivation behind the piece. However, I could glimpse a bit from some of the titles. For instance, Death Spirit Box......that one makes it quite obvious. It is a beautiful work. Though it is hard to see in the picture, the wooden column is intricately carved and must have taken many hours to complete. The striking raven, which lies atop, is a recognizable symbol of death. Plus, the fact that he lies dead instead of just perching there makes an ominous statement. 

Other titles aren't as forthcoming with hints...... Thursday Friday Spirit is a handsome wood carving of a large Stork or Herring. I'm not sure which. Either way, I am unsure what a bird has to do with the spirit of weekdays. However, the good news is, that we do not need to understand it to appreciate it.


  
The last work that I really liked were the blown glass pieces. They are so very colorful and the patterns made by the blown glass technique are truly marvelous. The title is Wind Carved, which I think is nice since they were "carved" by air. Also, those lovely patterns certainly swirl around like they were made by the wind. I have seen blown glass made and it is a fascinating technique that produces one-of-kind items of beauty and these are a fine example.

All of the displays in this exhibit were interesting and lovely and I applaud the artists for their hard work. I would be proud to own any of them for myself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment