Thursday, March 9, 2017

Kiko Gets a Home!

I logged 6 hours of Collo time this weekend running a transport train for my foster Kiko.

Kiko is a senior min-pin with a terribly abusive past. However, she is the sweetest dog I have ever been around. I've had Kiko in my home for 6 months, the longest of all my fosters. Now, when I got involved with fostering I went into it with the mindset that I am just dog-sitting for someone. This allowed me to compartmentalize as to avoid the attachment that most people are afraid of when considering becoming a foster. I have been volunteering with the rescue for 2 years and attachment has never been a problem. The closest I have come is definitely Kiko. Her gentle but very skittish nature, past abuse, and lengthy stay in our home made me more protective of her.
As the foster, I am responsible for finding the perfect home for my charge.  Applications for my dogs are giving to me to work. The applicants go through a stringent screening including vet checks, personal references,  landlord checks, an in-depth interview and a home visit. If they are willing to go through this process, chances are they are responsible owners. I feel this power allows me to focus on the dog's future so I am excited to see them go to a loving home. So far, all my fosters have hit the jackpot! In fact, in several situations, I wanted to go with them to their new place. This is certainly true of Kiko's new family. They are a retired senior couple living the good life in Memphis. The Bayless' dog of 17 years recently passed away from cancer and they are grieving. Wanting to shift their focus to loving another dog, they began looking for a senior dog to adopt and when they saw Kiko, they felt an instant connection. Senior dogs are often the hardest to place for obvious reasons. So, I was really ecstatic when the Bayless application came across for Kiko. They were perfectly matched for her needs and I had no doubt that she would be set for the remainder of her life. 
Once I approved the application, I set about finding transport for Kiko as I wanted to spare the Baylesses the 17 hour roundtrip to get her. Using a previous adopter who lives near Chattanooga and 2 other imps volunteers, one in Nashville and the other near Memphis, I planned a transport train. So, this past Saturday at 4:30 a.m. I drove Kiko to meet my friend(and previous adopter) Myrna in Cookeville. She then met our volunteer Greg in Nashville, and he met the last volunteer in Jackson who then met the adopters in Memphis. It was a long and scary day for Kiko but she is settling into her in home like a champ. I can't wait to get a new foster.     

No comments:

Post a Comment