Thursday, March 9, 2017

New Spring Semester @ Collo

Well Spring Semester is off and running at full speed and I am busier than a one legged man in an apple stomping contest! I have so many writing intensive courses this semester that I am brain dead! All these boring lectures and marathon essays have me SIKED for some Collo time. Getting out for some activities will be a breath of fresh air.

Dr. H has asked for a plan of action to help us mange the 20 open Collo hours this semester. I am hoping to fulfill my hours with volunteer work. I plan log hours with imps.com which is the min-pin rescue organization that I am part of. I also plan to a be regular volunteer with the TLC Community Center in Elizabethton.
This non-profit organization has grown into a vital community resource over the past few years. It's humble beginnings centered on abortion alternative services. However, director Angie Odom was so moved by the overwhelming needs within the community that she expanded the center to reach those families most at risk.
Today, the center offers a variety of essential services such as:
  • Adoption Services              
  • Parenting Classes
  • A free Mommy Mart provided baby/child items
  • Summer Kids Food Program
  • A community garden
  • A  community soup kitchen
  • A Free community Day Care
  • Emergency family aid
  • A variety of free family events
  • Children's Physical Therapy  Services
The center is self-governed and solely dependent on private donation funding and volunteer workers. The positive impact on the community is immense. They serve thousands of meals each week, facilitate numerous adoptions to local families, and provide basic needs to many local families.   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment