Monday, March 13, 2017

Volunteer Spring Break

Over Spring Break week, I volunteered to score the application packets for the incoming fall Midway students. I was honored to participate in this process and take it very seriously as I know what the Midway Honors Program has meant to me. Without it, I would likely not have been able to pursue my Bachelor's degree. Also, beyond the obvious financial benefit, the program has offered me so much more. The support, encouragement, and family-type bond that is gained have been priceless building blocks to my success as a student. Additionally, I know that the academic standards being demanded by the program will pay-off in countless dividends in my future endeavors. So, the chance to aid 10 other people in reaching their college dreams was an exciting and humbling experience. Each candidate packet has an application/resume, cover letter, 3 reference letters, and an essay that are read and scored using a provided rubric. I spent an average of 1 hour scoring each packet for a total of 10 volunteer hours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment